Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mogul 2007 isn't that pitcher friendly?

Mogul 2007 isn't that pitcher friendly?

Nearly all of my hitters rated over 90 consistently put up good years.

This is NOT true of my 90+ rated pitchers. I've had MANY VETERAN 90+ rated pitchers have 2 or 3 consecutive years of ERAs over 5.00. It's really hard to get consistent pitching, even from players rated really high. While they do have good years once in a while, there isn't a lot of consistency there (as there was in the 2006 version of the game). Is this a setting I can fix? Yes, I know I can adjust the rookies file, but how would that affect veteran performance?

Is this an issue that other users are noticing? (I'm more of a pitching fan, which is why this issue is something I notice)

Re: Mogul 2007 isn't that pitcher friendly?

Try adjusting Simulation Settings in the League Menu

and my contention, still, is that unless you are playing at level othe than, there should be no adjustments needed. but no, 2k7 isn't fair on the ratings for pitchers. it's not really fair on the ratings for anyone from what i have seen.

The idea of adjusting simulation settings to get performance where it should be for todays game is silly. The game should be playable, and result in reasonably accurate numbers for this era of baseball "out of the box". The only time a player should have to adjust the simulation settings, or edit player ratings, is when they want something different. Adjusting simulation setting could be a quick fix until a patch comes out that fixes the problem, but it's not an end all be all solution.

"Out of the box" shouldn't result in home run numbers equal to the dead ball era, but if you want to play the dead ball era type baseball you adjust the settings. If you want the godliest of all godly players, or you want the most useless of all useless players, then you edit the player ratings.

That goes for all difficulty levels, baseball is baseball. A "great pitcher" shouldn't pitch worse because you've chosen to play the hardest difficulty. Difficulty should affect the areas outside player influence, like fan interest, payroll problems, or AI intelligence.

/agree

I think overall, the 2007 version of the game is excellent. There are only a few minor things I'd like to tweak.

In regards to the pitching issue, I wish there was a dumbed down way to set an era style of play.

Like this (5 options to choose from):

1. Very pitcher friendly era (Dead Ball)
    2. Slightly pitcher friendly era (somewhere between option 1 and 3)
    3. Balanced -- default setting (Average era over 100 year historical timespan--perhaps 1900 to 1999)
    4. Slightly hitter friendly era (somewhere between option 3 and 5)
    5. Very hitter friendly era (Live Ball)

What I want to avoid is having to micro-manage a whole bunch of league settings to get the desired results I want (I prefer an era slightly favoring a pitcher, or at worst a balanced era). As it is now, the league I am playing in is HEAVILY balanced toward the hitters, which I do not like (being primarily a pitching fan).

When I sim in 2006 and 2007, I get stats (ERA, batting average, etc.) similar to what MLB had in 2001-2005. So I think the sim is working fine "out of the box".

The issue might be with the rating system itself. If 10% of all batters are rated as 90+, but 30% of all pitchers are rated as 90+, then a 92-rated pitcher won't be as effective as a 92-rated batter, because his talent level isn't actually as far above average.

I haven't looked at the numbers in detail to figure out if this is the issue. If there really is a problem with highly rated pitchers performing poorly, this is probably the area worth looking into.

Clay
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules
    Bug reports and roster corrections: support@sportsmogul.com

I probably know what's causing it but I don't want to say.

If it's something like "Mogul sucks!" then, yeah, don't say it. We don't to over to the OOTP boards and say "OOTP sucks!"
    New to Baseball Mogul? Need player pics for your historic league? Don't like the default generics? Check out my picture libraries at Baseball SimCentral.

Visit my website (click on my name and scroll down) if SimCentral isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Olsen
    If it's something like "Mogul sucks!" then, yeah, don't say it. We don't to over to the OOTP boards and say "OOTP sucks!"
    Songsdream seems like a hardcore Mogul fan. Im absolutely lost on what it is hes hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM
    Im absolutely lost on what it is hes hiding.
    As am I. Apparently I was thinking of Doibhilin when I posted that.
    New to Baseball Mogul? Need player pics for your historic league? Don't like the default generics? Check out my picture libraries at Baseball SimCentral.

Visit my website (click on my name and scroll down) if SimCentral isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Dreslough
    When I sim in 2006 and 2007, I get stats (ERA, batting average, etc.) similar to what MLB had in 2001-2005. So I think the sim is working fine "out of the box".

The issue might be with the rating system itself. If 10% of all batters are rated as 90+, but 30% of all pitchers are rated as 90+, then a 92-rated pitcher won't be as effective as a 92-rated batter, because his talent level isn't actually as far above average.
    Clay
    What does comparing ratings to an average have to do with stats? Just because there are many good pitchers doesn't make a good pitcher worse. At least, it shouldn't.
    Rising Sun League-
    Minnesota Twins 2005-2021: Avg. Record:90-72
    AL Central Champions:2005,2006,2008,2009,2010,2011,2014,2015,2016,2018,2020,2021

Rising Sun League Round 2 [Equalized]-
    Minnesota Twins 2006-[I]2024[/I]:Avg. Record: 90-72
    AL Wild Card: 2009,2011
    AL Central Champions: 2006,2007,2008,2010,2012,2019,2020,2021,2022,2023,2024
    AL Champions: 2008,2010,2023,2024
    RSL Champions: 2008,2010,2024

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Olsen
    What bugs me a bit is that while we are over here waiting for Clay to respond to tons of messages from HIS users, he's making posts on the OOTP boards...

.. or is that an imposter over there???

Quote Originally Posted by PadresFan104
    What bugs me a bit is that while we are over here waiting for Clay to respond to tons of messages from HIS users, he's making posts on the OOTP boards...

I know it can be frustrating when you have a concern and it doesn't get addressed quickly. Personally, the fact that the free agent pitchers getting wacky AA stats in place of independent/foreign league stats hasn't been fixed yet, is driving me f'ing crazy (I'm OCD about stuff like that). Nevertheless, I can assure you that Clay really does do his best to play the customer service role on top of continuosly improving and enhancing Baseball Mogul. I know that anyone out there that has him on their AIM buddylist can confirm this as the man is almost always logged on. It's like he doesn't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by PadresFan104

Its probably the real him, but he also is posting here, so I dont see the big deal. He may not respond to every thing, but Im sure he reads it.