Thread: Do away with Payroll Budget

Do away with Payroll Budget

This has to be the most misunderstood stat in Mogul. Completely eliminating it would save everyone a world of confusion.

On the main screen, just put it in projected profit. It's much easier for a player to look at see "oh, I'm projected to lose 5mil this year but I have 80mil on hand so that's not any big deal at all".

Probably some other improvements could be made in this area as well, but I'm not sure exactly what would be best. All I know is if I could eliminate the "Payroll Budget" from every showing up on my league file I would. I get tired of explaining it to every single new GM.
    I saw Andre Dawson. And let me tell you something. There were only two players in my lifetime whose teammates held them in awe. One was Mickey Mantle. The other was Andre Dawson. If you were around, if you saw them play, you know that. But the numbers don't tell you that.
    - Jerome Holtzman

Re: Do away with Payroll Budget

Five stars

duuude. sounds good to me!
    Outahere
    Mariners GM 2023-2031
    Orioles GM 2031-2044
    Mets GM 2045-Present

I like it there. It's just a quick reminder for me to see how much I could lose in the season.

Big Mikey>

Projected profit would be what you would want to see not payroll budget.

If you read the original post, you would see that it would be replaced my projected profit.

The game already has Projected Profit.

Payroll Budget is a useful tool for some. Should I replace it with something like 'Payroll Estimate', that sounds like it's not an official budget figure.
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules
    Bug reports and roster corrections: support@sportsmogul.com

I believe he's trying to say Projected Profit is just fine as a measuring stick and to leave it at that, while Payroll Budget is a combination of confusing and redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Dreslough View Post

Payroll Budget is a useful tool for some. Should I replace it with something like 'Payroll Estimate', that sounds like it's not an official budget figure.
    I realize that...I'm saying that "Payroll Budget" having prominent spot on the team's main page is not a good idea. I don't really have the energy to look up the threads, but there's dozens of them on SM and I personally end up dealing with this "Budget" rating with basically every new GM in my league as well.

When someone asks "how do I increase my budget?" what they really mean is how do I increase my revenue/profit. I just feel this could be displayed better in game. For too many users out there, Payroll Budget is some mysterious figure they don't understand...it's not at all clear to them that it basically = projected revenue - projected expenses.
    I saw Andre Dawson. And let me tell you something. There were only two players in my lifetime whose teammates held them in awe. One was Mickey Mantle. The other was Andre Dawson. If you were around, if you saw them play, you know that. But the numbers don't tell you that.
    - Jerome Holtzman

Quote Originally Posted by cfeedback View Post
    I realize that...I'm saying that "Payroll Budget" having prominent spot on the team's main page is not a good idea.
    Got it. I'll change 'Payroll Budget' on the right side of the screen to 'Projected Profit'. But I'll probably leave the various options on the Finances Page as is.
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules
    Bug reports and roster corrections: support@sportsmogul.com

It's ok, I assume most of us don't visit the Finances page unless we're in a league. And the Payroll Budget shouldn't just be renamed to Projected Profit. The projected profit should estimate our expenses and revenues to create a net amount (positive if we make money, negative if we lose money that season) that should change our cash amount by at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Dreslough View Post

This is the best option

Of course it is probably 20 times as much work.

But it is the best option