Thread: Flag to replace pinch runners etc.

Flag to replace pinch runners etc.

I'm sure this has been posted before but I couldn't find it with search. Game three of the world series, Twins win on a passed ball allowed by Jack Wilson, the Reds pinch-runner for their catcher in the top half of the inning. I manage both teams, but this is really annoying -- it's just too easy to forget to replace pinch runners or pinch hitters. The game warns you about having a non-pitcher on the mound; what I'd like is a flag or checkbox when you replace someone to double-check your defense. Or maybe just extend the pitcher warning "you have a non-catcher behind the plate" "you have a non-SS at that position", etc. This should only apply to pinch-hitters and pinch-runners, i.e., players who enter the game in the offensive half of the inning and are slated to take the field at a position they don't normally play. No way in real life a SS dons the "tools of ignorance" without asking someone "who's gonna catch?"

Guess I'll let the game result stand, the Twins had runners on 1st and 3rd with one out, so a score was likely but not certain (and they might have won in a future inning anyway.)

Re: Flag to replace pinch runners etc.

5 stars, happens to me all the time

I agree happens to me a lot too especially since I manage a National League team and stuff gets a little screwy...

Yes please. I especially don't like seeing my speedy left-handed outfielder man with an inning at catcher.
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties
    The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill
    Une Rève Réaliser: Les Expos de Montréal (1969-)

Retired Dynasties
    The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny (with Jeffy25 and Ragecage)
    A New Era Takes Flight - The 2008 Toronto Blue Jays
    The Blue Birds: A new Era

I'd like to see the pop up say something like "Michael Bourn walks over and asks if he is really catching this inning"

Added to the suggestions thread in my sig.

I've been thinking of posting this same exact issue. At the least, notify me when a catcher or ss is occupied by an out of position player.

this is great suggestion.
    i don't think you should have to let a world series game stand on a play like this. maybe have every hitter sac bunt for eight innings. walk the twins lead off man in the ninth, have him steal against your ss/catcher. bunt the runner over to 3rd. put your real catcher in. walk the next batter and then finish the game normally [if murphy's law kicks in and your real catcher gives up a passed ball anyway--feel free to make up a 1912 dartboard for waisting you time.]

If I could give this six stars, I would. Great suggestion.
    derp

Looks like the main theme no matter which league you choose, you're gonna make this mistake and it's probably at the expense of your C position. Just a guess, but I'm thinking this has been a flaw that they haven't changed because of the flexibility it allows super-utility players. Perfect excuse to go back and fine tune the labeling system so it would accurately reflect what the player does. If I have a guy who can play 8 positions, I don't want him labeled 3B. Fix the labels, and just insert the pitching alert to prompt the same pop-up for C.

I don't want to have to contend with a pop-up between innings to handle each change I made. Personally, I'd be happy if a temporary fix eliminated Catchers from this problem.

On a side note, I think when inserting relief pitchers (particularly in the NL), the pitching slot should not be just showed underneath, together with who is at bat and on deck. There should be a pop up alerting you of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evo X View Post
    On a side note, I think when inserting relief pitchers (particularly in the NL), the pitching slot should not be just showed underneath, together with who is at bat and on deck. There should be a pop up alerting you of it.
    I'm not really on board with this one. So much goes into which reliever you use there's no time for a pop-up. Worst-case scenario is you burn a pitcher sooner than you wanted because his spot was due up.

Imgran Guest

And if you're in a situation where you have to play, say, a second baseman at short for a game, it'll trigger the flag.

The pop-up as I envision it would only occur after a change in the offensive half inning, so it wouldn't keep coming up for the same player, and wouldn't affect starting lineups or changes made during the defensive inning -- exactly the way the current warning works for pitchers. But I agree it would be good to avoid if the player actually has skill at the given position, and the other option would be my original suggestion of manually setting a reminder when you make the substitution.