Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Fishing for Wins - A Florida Marlins Dynasty

Fishing for Wins - A Florida Marlins Dynasty

Gonna try my hand at a dynasty again. Been a while since I attempted one, and it'll be a good way for me to spend my time when I'm not at work.

I'll be playing on Baseball Mogul 2012 with HGM's rosters. Since it's been a while since I've played a mogul game, I'm not gonna institute any hard rules at first. I'm gonna police myself and police the league and basically just use common sense when making trades. But from what I've heard, this iteration of the game does a pretty good job of keeping itself in check and keeping the league reasonably balanced. I'll be keeping an eye on it just to be safe, though.

Anyways, next post will be a bit of roster analysis before Opening Day.
    Active Dynasty
    An Alternate History Dynasty - The 1989 Red Sox

Paused Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Ryan is No. 0. He doesn't make the list, since he's clearly on a higher plane of existence than all other quarterbacks, living or dead. He is ... teh messiah.
    I'm not the only one who knows the truth about Matt Ryan.

Re: Fishing for Wins - A Florida Marlins Dynasty

i'll be reading, I like a good yeahdaawg dyansty

The Starting 9

1. CF Chris Coghlan (84)
    2. 2B Omar Infante (83)
    3. LF Logan Morrison (81/90)
    4. SS Hanley Ramirez (93)
    5. RF Mike Stanton (83/94)
    6. C John Buck (82)
    7. 1B Gaby Sanchez (79)
    8. 3B Greg Dobbs (66)

Analysis: We have one major weakness at third-base in Greg Dobbs, and one major strength at shortstop in Hanley Ramirez. Hopefully they can at least balance each other out, but I'm gonna be on the look out for an upgrade at third anyways. Aside from that, it's pretty solid. Got some reliable vet's, with a few young guys mixed in that I'm hoping can take a step forward in their development and turn into dominant hitters.

Defensively, there's something to be desired. The only guy whose anything special in the field is Buck. Basically everyone else is "meh" at best. This defense is probably gonna make me rip my hair out on more than one occasion.

We've got some decent depth on the bench as well. Bonifacio (77) and Donnie Murphy (76/77) are solid back-up infielders, and Scott Cousins (77/81) is a good 4th outfielder. Brett Hayes (73/76) is a good reserve back-stop to spell Buck on occasion. He's great defensively, so we wouldn't lose anything on that front if Buck went down for any significant amount of time.

The Pitching Staff

SP Josh Johnson (94)
    SP Ricky Nolasco (91)
    SP Anibal Sanchez (85)
    SP Javier Vazquez (83)
    SP Chris Volstad (80/82)
    CL Leo Nunez (86)
    SU Randy Choate (80)
    SR Brian Sanches (84)
    SR Edward Mujica (81)
    MR Clay Hensley (82)
    LR Burke Badenhop (83)

Analysis: The pitching staff is easily this team's bread and butter. Two ace caliber pitchers heading it off, including a perennial Cy Young contender in Johnson, and a bottom of the rotation that rivals most in baseball.

The bullpen is nothing to scoff at either. I don't expect to lose too many leads late in the game with these guys holding down the fort.

Expectations: The game projects us at 84-78, which would be good for second in the division behind the 90-72 Phillies. I don't think that's too far off, but I could easily see this team exceeding those expectations. The pitching staff on this team is great, and the offense is at least good enough to support it, with potential to be excellent, depending on how Stanton and Morrison do.

I'm predicting playoffs.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasty

Ryan is No. 0. He doesn't make the list, since he's clearly on a higher plane of existence than all other quarterbacks, living or dead. He is ... teh messiah.

Opening Day - April 1, 2011

HTML Code:
                         1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 +  R  H  E
              Mets (NYM) 2 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 2  6  7  0
           Marlins (FLA) 0 1 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 0  4 10  1

WP: Francisco Rodriguez (1-0)
         LP: Leo Nunez (0-1)

HR:  Gaby Sanchez (1), Mike Stanton (1)
    Josh Johnson was victimized by a porous defense in our home, and season opener, allowing four runs, with only two of them being earned. Mike Stanton got off to a hot start, going 4-5 and putting up our first run of the season in the second inning with a solo home-run. Gaby Sanchez also launched a two-runner in the sixth and drove in the (then) game-tying run in the 8th on a sac fly.

April 2, 2011

HTML Code:
              Mets (NYM) 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0    3 10  2
           Marlins (FLA) 1 1 2 0 1 0 1 2 x    8 10  2

WP: Ricky Nolasco (1-0)
         LP: R.A. Dickey (0-1)

HR:  Hanley Ramirez (1), Logan Morrison (1)
    A good bounce-back win, powered by a balanced offensive attack. Logan Morrison and Hanley Ramirez both homered and drove in two runs, and Tim Torres, Mike Stanton, Ricky Nolasco and Emilio Bonifacio pitched in with an RBI each.

April 3, 2011

HTML Code:
              Mets (NYM) 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 4 0    6  8  2
           Marlins (FLA) 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0    1  5  1

WP: Jonathon Niese (1-0)
         LP: Anibal Sanchez (0-1)

HR:  None
    The Mets stole the rubber game on the back of an excellent start by Jon Niese, who went 7 innings, allowed only one run, and K'ed 9. Sanchez countered with a strong 7 innings of one run ball of his own, but the bullpen couldn't keep it close and we couldn't muster any offense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marlins Record: 1-2

My Thoughts: Well, 1-2 isn't the way I would've liked to have started my season, but it's the first series of the year. I am a little concerned about the early fielding troubles, especially since the defense was something I was worried about coming into the season, but it's only 3 games so I'm not about to throw my arms up or jump to any conclusions or anything like that. Next up, we've got a day off, before playing the Nationals for 3 games at home, and then traveling to Houston, Atlanta, and Philly, for our first road-trip of the season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We've got a few exciting transactions to report on. Most notably, the Yankees have signed Robinson Cano to a 5-year extension worth 17.3 million dollars a season and Phil Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain to smaller, 2-year extensions. The Mets also signed Mike Pelfrey to a 3-year deal worth 4.3 million per year, and the Indians signed Shin-Soo Choo to a 4-year extension worth 6.1 million dollars a season. Aside from that, the Pirates signed Manny Corpas, the Indians signed Willy Aybar, the Braves signed Ben Sheets, and the Padres signed Carlos Silva to one year deals.

The Royals also lost closer Joakim Soria to a broken hip for four months.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasty

April 5, 2011 vs. Nationals

HTML Code:
         Nationals (WSN) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0    1  2  1
           Marlins (FLA) 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 x    2  8  1

WP: Javier Vazquez (1-0)
         LP: Jason Marquis (0-1)
         SV: Leo Nunez (1)

HR:  None
    An exciting end to this, with Chris Coghlan hosing down Roger Bernadina at home for the third out of the ninth, as he was trying to tag up and score the tying run of the game. Javy Vazquez held the opposition hitless through 5 1/3 innings, and exited the game after going 7.1 innings and allowing only one run on two hits and striking out six.

April 6, 2011 vs. Nationals

HTML Code:
         Nationals (WSN) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0    1  7  1
           Marlins (FLA) 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 x    2  4  0

WP: Josh Johnson (1-0)
         LP: Livan Hernandez (1-1)
         SV: Leo Nunez (2)

HR:  Mike Stanton (2)
    A two-run homer in the seventh and a dominant seven innings from Josh Johnson give us the win and push us above .500, up to 3-2.

April 7, 2011 vs. Nationals

HTML Code:
         Nationals (WSN) 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0  3 10  1
           Marlins (FLA) 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1  4  9  3

WP: Leo Nunez (1-1)
         LP: Tyler Clippard (0-1)

HR:  John Buck (1)
    John Buck's walk-off homer in the bottom of the 11th powers us to the win and the sweep, in spite of 3 errors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A good showing against a divisional opponent, but the defense is still scaring me.

April 8, 2011 at Astros

HTML Code:
           Marlins (FLA) 1 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 2    9 11  1
            Astros (HOU) 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0    3  9  1

WP: Anibal Sanchez (1-1)
         LP: J.A. Happ (0-1)

HR:  Mike Stanton (3)
    A big offensive night pushes our win streak to four games. Mike Stanton slugged his 3rd homer of the season, and pushed his line to .269/.333/.615 with 8 RBI in 7 games.

April 9, 2011 at Astros

HTML Code:
           Marlins (FLA) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0    1  4  0
            Astros (HOU) 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 x    3  8  1

WP: Bud Norris (2-0)
         LP: Javier Vazquez (1-1)
         SV: Brandon Lyon (4)

HR:  Mike Stanton (4)

Mike Stanton was the only one who managed to nick up Houston starter Bud Norris, going 2-4 with a solo homer. Norris struck out 11 and allowed only one run over 7 innings, improving his record to 2-0 and lowering his ERA to 1.29.

April 10, 2011 at Astros

HTML Code:
           Marlins (FLA) 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1    4  9  2
            Astros (HOU) 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0    1  5  0

WP: Chris Volstad (1-0)
         LP: Nelson Figueroa (1-1)
         SV: Leo Nunez (3)

HR:  Mike Stanton (5)

Volstad struck out 11 and earned his first win of the season, and Mike Stanton just keeps on chugging as he hits his 5th home run of the season.

Marlins tied for 1st place (6-3)

Can't complain about being 6-3 and in a two-way tie for first place! I'm very happy to see the young guys, Mike Stanton and Logan Morrison, doing well and carrying the team, especially with Hanley Ramirez hitting below the Mendoza Line and everyone else in the line-up, save Gaby Sanchez starting out the season ice cold.

Jason Varitek's career may be coming to an end. He is expected to miss seven months after suffering a devastating knee injury.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasty

April 12, 2011 at Braves - 4-1 WIN

Josh Johnson fell just short of a complete game shutout, pitching 8 innings of one-run ball, when Eric Hinske crossed the plate as an inherited for Randy Choate. Johnson also went 1-4 with his 4th career home-run and struck out 7 over those 8 innings.

WP: Josh Johnson (2-0)
    LP: Tommy Hanson (0-2)

HR: Josh Johnson (1)

April 13, 2011 at Braves - 7-5 WIN

Chris Coghlan spearheaded a great offensive night, doubling twice and scoring twice. Even Greg Dobbs, the useless son-of-a-*****, got in on the action with a hit and an RBI.

WP: Ricky Nolasco (2-0)
    LP: Derek Lowe (2-1)

HR: Hanley Ramirez (2)

April 14, 2011 at Braves - 2-12 LOSS

The Braves took us out behind the woodshed in preventing the sweep. Anibal Sanchez failed to make it through 2 full innings before getting pulled and allowing seven runs, and the bullpen didn't do much to stop the bleeding. Brian McCann really killed us, hitting 2 homers and driving in 7 runs.

WP: Jair Jurrens (1-1)
    LP: Anibal Sanchez (1-2)

HR: None

8-4 puts us 1/2 game back of the Mets for the division lead, at this early stage of the season. The early season defensive troubles seem to have subsided to an extent, and some of the guys in the line-up that were struggling (see: everyone not named Logan Morrison, Mike Stanton, or Gaby Sanchez) seem to be heating up a bit.

April 15, 2011 at Phillies - 7-2 WIN

Hanley Ramirez had his first good offensive night of the season, going 2-3 with 2 walks, 2 runs, and a solo homer, and Javy Vazquez allowed only 2 runs in 7 innings and struck out 8.

WP: Javier Vazquez (2-1)
    LP: Cole Hamels (1-2)

HR: Hanley Ramirez (3)

April 16, 2011 at Phillies - 6-8 LOSS

We did what we could to salvage this game, rallying for four runs in the top of the 8th, courtesy of a two-run pinch-hit homer by Wes Helms and a two-run double by Hanley Ramirez, but it wasn't quite enough.

WP: Roy Halladay (1-1)
    LP: Chris Volstad (1-1)
    SV: Jose Contreras (5)

HR: wes Helms (1), Logan Morrison (2)

April 17, 2011 at Phillies - 5-6 LOSS

Edward Mujica's implosion in the ninth inning allowed the Phillies to tie the game, which they eventually won on Raul Ibanez's infield single to score Jimmy Rollins from 3rd.

WP: Jose Contreras (1-0)
    LP: Clay Hensley (0-1)

HR: Mike Stanton (6)

Marlins in second place (9-6)

I'm a little bit concerned with how poorly we played against the (realistically) best team in the division. That being said, 9-6 is a pretty solid start to the season. The line-up is continuing to heat-up, and Mike Stanton is looking like an early MVP candidate with his triple-slash line currently standing at .286/.349/.625, that's a .974 OPS for those of you who are too lazy or stupid (or "special", like ragecage) to compute that in your head, with 6 homers and 15 RBI's. Josh Johnson is also looking like an early Cy Young candidate. Johnson has allowed only 5 earned runs in 27 innings of work, while striking out 21, walking only four, and holding opposing hitters to a .198 batting average.

A big trade (that I apparently missed last time) has taken place between the Yankees and Braves. I won't bore you with the finer details, but the core of the deal involves sending Joba Chamberlain (86/90) to the Braves in exchange for first-base prospect Freddie Freeman (76/86) and starting pitcher Brandon Beachy (79/84).
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasty

April 19, 2011 vs. Pirates - 5-7 LOSS

We managed to spot Ricky Nolasco a 4-1 lead after one inning, which he managed to piss away after allowing 5 runs in 3.1 innings.

WP: Kevin Correia (1-2)
    LP: Ricky Nolasco (2-1)
    SV: Joel Hanrahan (4)

HR: Logan Morrison (3)

April 20, 2011 vs. Pirates - 8-4 WIN

John Buck managed to give us a nice cushion with his 6th inning 3-run home-run, which stretched the lead from 5-4 to 8-4.

WP: Anibal Sanchez (2-2)
    LP: Scott Olsen (0-2)
    SV: Leo Nunez (4)

HR: John Buck (2)

April 21, 2011 vs. Pirates - 5-6 LOSS (11 inning)

It's hard to win a game when you're forced to use 8 pitchers. Even in an 11 inning game, that's unacceptable. Especially when you're forced to go so far as to use two of your starting pitchers in relief. ESPECIALLY WHEN ONE OF THEM IS JOSH JOHNSON.

WP: Joel Hanrahan (3-0)
    LP: Josh Johnson (2-1)
    SV: Joe Beimel (2)

We're definitely in a bit of a funk right now. We've lost four of our last six games. The losses to the Phillies were somewhat excusable, considering they're a very talented team and the odds-on favorite to win the NL East, but I just can't stomach losing 2 of 3 to the lowly Pirates.

April 22, 2011 vs. Rockies - 6-16 LOSS

This loss certainly couldn't have anything to do with the fact that my starter, Chris Volstad, was stupidly brought in as a reliever in the previous days loss to the Pirates. And failed to make it through the second inning before allowing six runs. Certainly not.

WP: Ubaldo Jimenez (3-0)
    LP: Chris Volstad (1-2)
    SV: None

HR: Greg Dobbs (1)

April 23, 2011 vs. Rockies - 5-3 WIN

More trickle down of the completely ridiculous bullpen usage in the last game against the Pirates, as Johnson fails to make it through 4 innings. We were able to compensate for it and pull out the win this time though, thanks in part to Hanley Ramirez's two-run home-run.

WP: Burke Badenhop (1-0)
    LP: Matt Belisle (0-3)
    SV: Clay Hensley (1)

HR: Hanley Ramirez (4)

April 24, 2011 vs. Rockies - 11-12 LOSS

You'd think you'd win a game in which you score 11 runs and have Ricky Nolasco on the mound. But you'd be wrong. DEAD. WRONG.

WP: Matt Lindstrom (1-1)
    LP: Randy Choate (0-1)

HR: Omar Infante (1), Greg Dobbs (2)

Marlins in second place, 3.5 games back (11-10)

To say I'm currently frustrated by this team's play would be a gross understatement. I mean, losing 2 of 3 to the Rockies? To one of OD's teams? Embarrassing. Almost disgraceful enough to commit ritual suicide, or at least end the dynasty.

Additionally, a pretty massive injury I failed to notice took place on April 20th. John Buck will be out for four months with a broken hip, and as a result also took a ratings hit, going from an (82) or so, down to a (76). Definitely gonna be on the look-out for catching help. In the meantime, Brett Hayes will start behind the plate, and John Baker will be called up to take John Buck's spot on the roster and back up Hayes behind the plate.

A few players have milestones to celebrate. Jimmy Rollins scored his 1000th career run, Chipper Jones collected his 2500th hit, and Paul Konerko became the first player of the season to hit for the cycle.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasty

It's because the Rockies are teh bestz

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDuck1989 View Post
    It's because the Rockies are teh bestz
    52-37 > 41-47

Or, if you'd prefer, 11-10 > 8-14
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasty

April 25, 2011 vs. Dodgers - 6-0 WIN

A tale of two pitchers. We jumped on Ted Lilly for four runs in just 1/3 of an inning before he was pulled in favor of Lance Cormier. Meanwhile our own starter, Anibal Sanchez, pitched seven inning of (nervewracking) shutout baseball, in spite of allowing nine hits and walking one.

WP: Anibal Sanchez (3-2)
    LP: Ted Lilly (1-3)

HR: Gaby Sanchez (2), Omar Infante (2)

April 26, 2011 vs. Dodgers - 4-0 WIN

Vazquez had the Dodgers on the ropes all night, pitching his eighth career shutout. At the plate, Chris Coghlan fell a double short of the cycle, going 3-4 with 3 runs and a stolen base.

WP: Javier Vazquez (3-1)
    LP: Jon Garland (2-2)

HR: Chris Coghlan (1)

April 27, 2011 vs. Dodgers - 1-8 LOSS

Clayton Kershaw prevented his team from being swept with 7 2/3 innings of one-run ball. The only thing that prevented the shutout was Chris Coghlan's double in the eighth inning.

WP: Clayton Kershaw (1-2)
    LP: Chris Volstad (1-3)

Marlins (13-11) in second place, 4.0 games back

A good series, though it certainly didn't come against one of the better teams in the league. With April nearly over, we're four games back of the Mets, who own the second best record in the NL, and trail the Giants by only 1/2 game for that distinction. The team's a little hot and cold, but it's coming around nicely so far.

No significant news around the league to report on. The next post may be a run-down of the league leaders after one month, but I haven't decided for sure yet. There are a smattering of Marlins throughout the leaderboards, so I may just comment on that and give you a general idea of where they stand.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasty

Cool! Good to see you doing another dynasty. Are you simming every game, playing them PBP, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by BINGLEBOP View Post
    Cool! Good to see you doing another dynasty. Are you simming every game, playing them PBP, or both?
    Little bit of both. I like to watch my better pitchers pitch, so I'll usually PBP GM mode Josh Johnson's starts. As the season goes forward I'll probably PBP big series against the Mets and Phillies and anyone else who I might be running with for the WC or division. Other than that, there's no real rhyme or reason to it. I PBP it if I feel like it, and if not I just sim the game.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasty

April's Hot Hitters - Marlins

#1 - LF Logan Morrison - .314/.398/.535/.933, 3 HR, 16 RBI, 14 R, 27 H
    #2 - RF Mike Stanton - .281/.356/.528/.884, 6 HR, 20 RBI, 16 R, 25 H
    #3 - 1B Gaby Sanchez - 349/.396/.453/.849, 2 HR, 16 RBI, 9 R, 30 H

Thoughts: The first two were really close, in my eyes, so I settled on OPS as a tie-breaker, which gave a decisive edge to Morrison. I'm particularly impressed with Sanchez, however. He's trails Chris Coghlan for the team lead in hits by only one, despite Coghlan batting first in the order, and Sanchez hitting 6th. If not for his relatively low power numbers, he'd have taken the top spot easily. I do expect his power and on-base/average numbers to balance off a bit, though.

April's Hot Pitchers - Marlins

#1 - SP Javier Vazquez - 3-1, 1.91 ERA, 28.1 IP, .170 BAA, 8 BB, 22 K
    #2 - SP Josh Johnson - 2-1, 2.41 ERA, 33.2 IP, .213 BAA, 8 BB, 28 K
    #3 - CL Leo Nunez - 1-1, 2.25 ERA, 12 IP, .214 BAA, 7 BB, 12 K

Thoughts: Vazquez really surprised me to start the season. I'm expecting his numbers to balance out and for him to finish the season with an ERA in the 3.00-3.50 range, but it certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if he kept up anything close to this level of performance for the entire season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So this (above) is what I'm looking at doing in place of league leaders between months of the season. Note that the "Hot" isn't really meant to denote that they had a hot month or that their numbers were just out of this world for that month or whatever, but moreso to denote that the player is dominating over the course of the season as a whole. You'll probably see a lot of the same names month-in and month-out for my teams hot hitters/pitchers, but I'm gonna try to highlight a lot of different hitters when I do it for each league.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasty

April's Hot Hitters - American League

#1 - DET 1B Miguel Cabrera - .400/.500/.663/1.163, 5 HR, 20 RBI, 17 R, 32 H
    #2 - NYY 2B Robinson Cano - .350/.407/.650/1.057, 6 HR, 29 RBI, 24 R, 35 H
    #3 - NYY 3B Alex Rodriguez - .330/.425/.604/1.029, 6 HR, 20 RBI, 23 R, 30 H

Thoughts: Putting two Yankees in this almost makes me physically ill, but the numbers can't be looked past. I'm pretty surprised/impressed with how well A-Rod is hitting at the age of 35.

April's Hot Pitchers - American League

#1 - DET SP Max Scherzer - 3-0, 1.89 ERA, 38.0 IP, .204 BAA, 8 BB, 38 K
    #2 - OAK SP Gio Gonzalez - 2-2, 2.55 ERA, 35.1 IP, .186 BAA, 11 BB, 36 K
    #3 - MIN SP Scott Baker - 3-1, 2.45 ERA, 33.0 IP, .214 BAA, 7 BB, 24 K

Thoughts: Gio and Max's numbers are very impressive, especially when you take into account that they're both in just their 4th years in the league. I have to say, though, that the pitching numbers in the AL don't look all that good.

April's Hot Hitters - National League

#1 - NYM 3B David Wright - .340/.420/.638/1.058, 7 HR, 34 RBI, 15 R, 32 H
    #2 - CHC 3B Aramis Ramirez - .315/.398/.644/1.042, 7 HR, 16 RBI, 19 R, 23 H
    #3 - COL RF Carlos Gonzalez - .327/.387/.604/.991, 7 HR, 19 RBI, 19 R, 33 H

Thoughts: Wright easily has the best numbers of any hitter in baseball so far this season. Also eww, a Rockie in the hot hitters. Yucky.

April's Hot Pitchers - National League

#1 - SDP SP Mat Latos - 2-2, 1.88 ERA, 38.1 IP, .188 BAA, 9 BB, 51 K
    #2 - CIN SP Mike Leake - 1-2, 1.40 ERA, 38.2 IP, .176 BAA, 6 BB, 29 K
    #3 - MIL SP Shaun Marcum - 4-0, 1.63 ERA, 38.2 IP, .169 BAA, 11 BB, 32 K

Thoughts: Matt Latos numbers are just eye-popping. If he had a better offense hitting behind him, I have no doubt that he'd be 5-0 instead of a rather pedestrian 2-2. Javy Vazquez was actually in the running for #3 on this one, but when I put him up against Marcum, Marcum was the definitive winner.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasty

April 29, 2011 at Reds - 3-4 LOSS (10 innings)

Josh Johnson left the game with a 3-1 lead, and we lose 4-3 on a walk-off walk by Clay Hensley. Honestly, the game can basically be summarized with this:

WP: Francisco Cordero (1-4)
    LP: Clay Hensley (0-2)

HR: Logan Morrison 2 (5)

April 30, 2011 at Reds - 4-5 LOSS (13 innings)

Well, at least we managed not to use any starters in relief this time. Scott Rolen's walk-off homer in the 13th was the difference.

WP: Danny Herrera (1-0)
    LP: Brian Sanches (0-1)

May 1, 2011 at Reds - 4-2 WIN

7 2/3 innings of two-run ball by Anibal Sanchez saved us from getting swept out of town by the Reds.

WP: Anibal Sanchez (4-2)
    LP: Travis Wood (1-3)
    SV: Edward Mujica (1)

HR: Hanley Ramirez (5)

Marlins (14-13) in second place in NL East, 4.5 games back

God damn that was a rough series. A play here and a play there and either of those first two games could've gone the other way, and that's the most frustrating part. We're on the road against the Cardinals next, and after that we head home for a six game homestand against the Nationals and Phillies, so it's really not gonna get any easier.

I've started poking around the trade market to see what's out there for upgrades at third-base and catcher. I'm not looking for a blockbuster to bring in Ryan Zimmerman or Joe Mauer or something, and I'm only shopping some mid-level prospects. I could throw Frosty the Snowman out there in the hot Miami heat, and he'd still be an upgrade even after he melted by the top of the second inning.

No exciting news to report on again this time.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasty