Thread: Defensive Replacements / Utility Player AI [Fixed BB2K14]

Defensive Replacements / Utility Player AI [Fixed BB2K14]

Pretty much just copied word-for-word from an email to Clay.

While skimming through fielding stats, I noticed a lot of players with stats such as "44 G, 2 GS" at both in field and outfield positions. Stark differences in games and games started happen every once in a while in real life, particularly in the outfield, but not nearly as often (a couple players per team) as it does in Mogul. It also seems that utility players like Nick Punto get used in this fashion by the game far more than they get used as starters to give guys rest.

Just to use Punto as an example, he seems to get a ton of games in as a defensive replacement at 3B, a couple starts there, and then maybe a couple starts at other positions. His usage in real life generally gets him shuffled around the infield as needed based on injury/rest/etc., and he generally makes 20-40 starts at a couple of the infield positions, plus a few games at each position as a defensive replacement, and sometimes getting a lot of games as a replacement (such as 2011 where he appeared in 45 games at 2B, but only 23 starts - note that this isn't a huge difference like in Mogu where its a 40/2 split often).

I think this has to do in part with the games general unwillingness to play players out of their "default" position, though this has certainly improved from past versions.

It just doesn't seem like Mogul utilizes utility players in a fashion similar to real life. While playing some PBP games, I noticed that teams will very often make late inning defensive replacements for big hitters in tight games, such as the Tigers replacing Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder with Danny Worth and Don Kelly in the 7th inning while holding just a one run lead. The score of the game should play a factor in a team's willingness to use defensive replacements, as should the offense of the player that is being replaced. In a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the 9th, subbing out that terrible fielding, decent hitting left fielder is a common substitution. Subbing out Miguel Cabrera when he's due up in 4-5 hitters? Not so much.

I also don't think the AI moves players from position to position during a game, though I could be wrong on this - I have yet to see it in PBP (though that has its own issues).

Re: Defensive Replacements / Utility Player AI

I guess it's fine to put here what somebody mentioned in another thread.

The Twins use Ryan Doumit as their DH. Joe Mauer and him are the only two catchers on the big league roster. When Joe Mauer is given a day off, instead of moving Doumit to catcher and DHing someone else, they play a random player at catcher. Obviously stupid.

Tell me if Clay fixed this bug -- I was using my backup catcher at 1B against lefties. One or two of the starters had him as their Personal Catcher. When one of those starters faced an opposing lefty, the catcher played both positions! There were only eight batters in the box score and this guy had like 9 AB's in a nine-inning game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Logan View Post
    Tell me if Clay fixed this bug -- I was using my backup catcher at 1B against lefties. One or two of the starters had him as their Personal Catcher. When one of those starters faced an opposing lefty, the catcher played both positions! There were only eight batters in the box score and this guy had like 9 AB's in a nine-inning game.
    It's not fixed. Due to injuries, Francisco Cervelli drew the start at 3B for me. He is also Michael Pineda's personal catcher. If you look at this box score, there simply was no catcher as opposed to him playing both.Name:  no_catcher.jpg
Views: 6024
Size:  246.6 KB

Why were your pitchers batting?

It looks like his pitchers were batting because there was no catcher.

Dan, you should post that as a bug. All I have is the beta so no point in my posting bugs.

"I guess it's fine to put here what somebody mentioned in another thread.

The Twins use Ryan Doumit as their DH. Joe Mauer and him are the only two catchers on the big league roster. When Joe Mauer is given a day off, instead of moving Doumit to catcher and DHing someone else, they play a random player at catcher. Obviously stupid."

Same thing happened to me, I was playing Toronto and they were using their 2nd catcher as their DH, their starting catcher was not available for the game, so they had an infielder get a start at catcher.